216 West Seminary Avenue
Lutherville, Maryland 21093
Rev. James "Jay" DeMent
Office (410) 825-4840 Parsonage (410) 321-0617
St. John's Heritage
In the early years of Lutherville, people of all denominations worshiped together in a small frame building in the heart of the Village where St. Paul's Lutheran Church now stands. They called their "church" the United Christian Association. As it grew, the Association decided to hold separate Methodist and Lutheran services on alternating Sundays with each group's minister officiating. This arrangement soon proved very unsatisfactory and in January 1869, Lutherville's Methodists resolved "...that by God's help we proceed to erect a church and organize a Methodist society." In March of that same year and by May a foundation had been laid. Two months later Thomas Todd completed the two-story wood-framed structure, and the first St. John's was dedicated on September 12, 1869.
Organized as a Methodist Episcopal Church, the first pastor was Reverend Thomas R. Slicer, appointed by the Baltimore Conference. St. John's and Timonium Churches were on their own circuit, served by the same minister. Not until 1955 did they become separate The original St. John's stood for over 40 years until a growing congregation demanded a new, larger building.
The present sanctuary occupies the site of the original church. It was completed in 1912 and dedicated on October 12 of that year. Our education building, including fellowship hall was added in 1958 and the sanctuary dramatically renovated in 1967.
Today, St. John's is still very much a part of the community of Lutherville, responding to more than its spiritual needs. Our roots of membership are deep and steadfast. More importantly, through Outreach Programs, new attitudes such as Contemporary Worship and popular Day Care Center, St. John's spiritual arms extend beyond local boundaries and open wide to share the message of God's love.